Glasgow Airport and Emirates will celebrate the return of the iconic A380 aircraft on to the airline’s hugely-popular Dubai service on Sunday 26 March.
It will be the first time the world’s largest commercial passenger aircraft has been flown the route since September 2019 and as such there has been considerable public interest in the event. Glasgow Airport is keen for members of the public to join in the celebrations but to do so in a safe and orderly manner.
The airport has been working closely with Police Scotland to put various measures in place on the day. These will ensure the safety of visitors and minimise congestion on both the airport’s road network and surrounding roads.
Viewing of the aircraft’s arrival and departure will be limited to specific areas around the perimeter of the airfield. Please see the attached map for further details.
It is important that we manage the number of private vehicles travelling to the airport as parking will be limited. In light of this, Glasgow Airport is offering visitors six hours free parking at its Long-Stay Car Park, which can be accessed Abbotsinch Road.
There will be no waiting or parking permitted on any of the airfield’s perimeter roads – Barnsford Road, Abbotsinch Road and Walkinshaw Road.
Airport access gates around the perimeter fence must remain clear of people and vehicles for access by the emergency services.
Finally, we want you to enjoy the event and have provided the following information which will help make it a positive experience for everyone.
Feel free to share any pictures of the aircraft on our twitter site by using the hash tag #HelloA380.
- Inbound: EK027, scheduled arrival 12:45
- Outbound: EK028, scheduled departure 14:35
Getting to the airport:
- We would encourage everyone to use public transport if possible to reduce congestion in and around the airport.
- Visit https://www.glasgowairport.com/to-and-from/ for more information on the various travel options to and from the airport.
- Free parking for up to six hours will be available within the Long-Stay Car Park located on Arran Avenue from 11am onwards.
- It is possible to walk from both the Long-Stay Car Park and main terminal building to the viewing areas highlighted in the attached map.
- Our short-stay car parks will be open as normal and can be pre-booked at glasgowairport.com.
- Traffic enforcement measures will be in place on the day and any vehicles causing an obstruction or parked within 3m of the perimeter fence (including the access gates) will be removed at the owner’s expense.
- Please keep to the pavements or grass areas if viewing the aircraft from the perimeter.
- Please do not use any roads as a walking route or viewing area. The roads around the airport will remain open and traffic must be able to pass freely at all times.
- Climbing aides are not permitted and please do not attempt to climb the fence. Airport security and police will be stationed around the perimeter of the airfield.
- We appreciate that members of the public may be waiting for several hours and consuming food and drink on the day, but please take care not to leave any litter as packaging, containers and other objects can create a safety risk to aircraft.
- Visitors are reminded that the operation of drones within 5km of the airfield of any UK airport is illegal and extremely dangerous.