1. Allow some extra time. Check-in times vary depending on where you’re flying to but as a general guide:
- Long-haul flights: check in three hours prior to scheduled departure
- European flights: check in two hours before scheduled departure
- UK and Ireland flights: check in one hour prior to scheduled departure
2. Have your boarding cards at the ready. In 2013 we became the first Scottish airport to introduce automated boarding pass scanners. Six self-service scanners are in place in the main security hall and they have helped reduce already low queue times for the millions of passengers who travel through the airport every year. You simply pass the barcode on your boarding card across the scanner and it will allow you entry. Having them to hand before you enter the security hall helps keep things moving.
3. Be prepared before you reach the X-ray machine. We have a number of preparation stations which you can use to organise your hand luggage. Remove all laptops and other large electrical equipment from your bag and place them in a tray along with smaller items like keys, coins, mobile phones etc…
4. Remember the 100ml liquid rule. Only liquids in containers of 100ml or less can be taken through security and they must be carried separately in a clear, resealable bag which we provide. If you’re bringing your own it must be no larger than 20cm x 20cm (8in x 8in) and able to close properly with all the items inside. If you are travelling with a baby or infant, exceptions can apply to this rule. In such cases, please carry only what you need for your journey and, to assist security screening, please do not carry these items in a flask. If you are not travelling with a baby or infant, excess liquids should be carried as hold luggage.
5. Use the benches after the X-ray machines. A security officer will invite you to go through the security archway. Once through, take your tray to one of the benches just a few feet away. Moving across to the benchs will allow the queue behind you to progress smoothy and you’ll have space to arrange your items.
Once you’re through security you can relax and enjoy our range of bars, restaurants and shops before boarding your flight.